Apple Oat Fritters Recipe
Serving Size: 8
Total Time: 45 minutes
Breakfast? Snack? Dessert? You call them what you want, we call them our guilty pleasure!
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp sugar (100% maple syrup for vegan option)
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- About 4 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 cup gluten-free old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup rice flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch (2 tbsp arrowroot for vegan option)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 1 large egg (or ¼ cup applesauce for vegan option)
- ½ cup club soda
- 2 large crisp apples (peeled, cored with an apple corer, sliced into ¼"-thick rings)
1) Whisk ½ cup sugar & 1 tsp cinnamon in a bowl, then set aside.
2) Fit a Dutch oven with a thermometer & pour in oil to measure 3". Heat over medium-high heat until the thermometer reads 375°F.
3) Meanwhile, pulse the oats in a food processor until they're a coarse powder. Transfer to a large bowl & whisk in rice flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, & the remaining 2 tbsp sugar & ½ tsp cinnamon. Whisk in the egg & ½ cup club soda, adding more soda by the tablespoonful until the consistency of pancake batter.
4) Working in batches & maintaining oil temperature, dip your apple rings in batter & fry, turning occasionally & until golden brown & crisp (takes about 4 minutes).
5) Transfer fritters to a paper towel-lined plate to let drain, then toss in your cinnamon-sugar mixture from the first step.
6) Grab as many as you want & enjoy! 🤗🍎