Dutch Oven Lasagna Recipe
Serving Size: 4-6
Total Time: 60 minutes
Hey moms, are you trying to feed the pickiest eaters? Well this is the dish for you! As long as you just say its meat, cheese and pasta, then you're good to go.
Just prep, layer, bake and enjoy!
9 oz. no-boil lasagna noodles
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 15 oz. carton ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
1 tbsp fresh minced parsley
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground Italian sausage
1 medium yellow onion diced
3 cloves garlic minced
½ cup dry or semi-dry red wine (can be substituted with water or chicken broth)
⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
32-48 oz. marinara sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese or slices of fresh mozzarella
½ cup grated parmesan
fresh basil roughly chopped
1. In a small bowl, beat together the egg, ricotta, and parsley. Set aside.
2. In the Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown the beef and sausage. Drain the meat reserving 2 tbsp fat (add 2 tbsp olive oil if there isn't enough reserved fat). Transfer the drained meat to a heatproof bowl and set aside.
3. In the same pot, sauté the onion until it becomes translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Add red wine, red pepper flakes, and the marinara sauce. Cook for 5 minutes. Transfer the marinara mixture to the bowl with the meat and mix to combine.
4. With the Dutch oven over low-medium heat, ladle 2 cups of the marinara meat mixture into the bottom of the pot and cover the sauce with a layer of lasagna noodles (breaking the noodles to fit). Then ladle the noodles with a layer of the marinara meat mixture..
5. Place spoonfuls of the ricotta/egg mixture over the marinara mixture and then add some mozzarella and grated parmesan. Repeat the layers three more times. Finish the top with a layer of mozzarella and parmesan.
6. Switch the heat to low and cook, covered for 30-40 minutes or until the noodles are cooked through, and the lasagna is hot and bubbly.
7. Once the lasagna is cooked through and the noodles have softened, the Dutch oven can be placed under the broiler for a few minutes to brown the cheese.
8. After removing the lasagna from the heat, garnish with fresh basil and let rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.