Red Wine Braised Ribs Recipe
Serving Size: 8
Total Time: 3 hrs 20 minutes
Romantic dinner for two or weeknight dinner for the family? This recipe is perfect for it all! If you're feeding your hungry family though, don't expect any leftovers... we're warning you that this will be a hit for all rib lovers!
2 tbsp olive oil
3-4 lbs bone-in short ribs (8-10 pieces)
Salt & pepper to taste
1 large onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
3 cloves garlic, smashed
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 cups wine, Cabernet Sauvignon
3 cups beef broth
2 bay leaves
1 thyme sprig
1 oregano sprig
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF
2. Rinse and pat dry the meat and season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in your Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown the meat in two batches for 5-6 minutes on each side, then set aside on another plate.
4. Add your diced onion into your Dutch oven and cook for about 8-10 minutes or until translucent and softened. Then add your diced celery and carrots, and cook for 3-5 minutes more.
5. Add the smashed garlic and tomato paste, then cook for a few more minutes.
6. Stir in wine, bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium and simmer until reduced in half, about 15-20 minutes.
7. Add beef broth and stir.
8. Transfer meat back into your Dutch oven, add bay leaves, thyme and oregano.
9. Cover with lid and place into oven. Cook for 2½-3 hours or until ribs are tender.
10. Transfer meat to a plate and cover in foil.
Here is where you can make the recipe yours!
11. If you want to keep the veggies, then bring the sauce and veggies to a boil until it thickens. If you don't want the veggies, strain the sauce into a separate bowl and discard the veggies, then pour the sauce back into your Dutch oven and simmer until it thickens.
Now you can plate up your ribs and smother them in the flavorful sauce and enjoy.